After–Hours Medical Care
Our after hours triage nurses are available 7 days per week at (480) 860-8488 to answer baby care questions, medication questions or to help you decide if your child needs to be seen. There are many options for after-hour medical care as outlined below.
On rare occasions, phone systems fail. Our answering service direct telephone number is (480) 303-1225.
General guideline for referrals
In general, most children who need medical care after hours will be referred to a local emergency room. An urgent care center is only recommended for older children with a single simple complaint.
- Anyone under 12 months of age for any reason, refer to ER
- If over 12 months of age and any of the following, refer to ER
- fever >104
- head injury
- difficulty breathing
- vomiting/diarrhea associated with severe abdominal pain
- severe burn with severe blistering or involving hands or face or genitalia
- ingestion of medicine or other toxic substance (after talking with poison control)
- If over 12 months of age and any of the following, refer to urgent care or ER
- ear pain
- sore throat
- cough without difficulty breathing
- extremity injury
- minor lacerations without severe bleeding
- dysuria in a child over the age of 5 years without fevers
- vomiting/diarrhea without abdominal pain in child over the age of 5 years
- minor burn with redness of skin or some mild blistering
- minor eye infections